Rural Extension: the Essentials
“As to methods, there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The person who grasps principles successfully selects their own method.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Build your confidence in doing good extension
- Improve your effectiveness in facilitating change
- Learn about three approaches to build capacity
This 2 day Essentials Bootcamp will get you started!
Join us for this intensive, hands on program as we explore the basics of rural extension and change in rural communities. This Course will deepen your understanding of the core professional skills needed to be effective at extension. You will learn about:
- What is extension
- Change: what it is and how to facilitate it positively
- Working with people: communities, leadership and facilitation
- Learning, Behavioural and Systemic approaches
- Adult Learning: understanding the process
- The Process Knowledge Spectrum
- The 4 stages of Capacity Building
- The keys to communicating messages effectively
- Modern Extension: strategies and tactics
- What makes a great extension activity
The Bootcamp is led by agroecologist David Hardwick. David completed a degree in Ecological Agriculture with focus on rural change. He has worked in various rural extension roles for nearly 20 years and has been involved in a number of highly successful extension projects including the Digging Deeper Soils Program and the Regen Cane Network. This is an essential fundamentals course for anyone looking to improve their skills and confidence in doing rural extension.
"Our soil health field days have been a hit with producers. A large part of this success is because we engaged David as key presenter" "Soil health can be a very dry topic. David engages people in this complex topic and explains soil health in a very simple way. But more than this, David drives home the importance of soil health to long term profitability, leaving farmers with practical tools they can take away"
Northern Tablelands Local Land Services Extension Team